What is "Word Count Reduction"?
Many journals have word limits on the length of papers. If you do not adhere to this limit, your paper may not be accepted. Thus, it is necessary to adjust the length of the manuscript before submission. On the other hand, it is not easy to retain the full content of the manuscript while making the expression more concise.
Basic Techniques for Word Count Reduction
Let's take a look at some points to keep in mind when aiming to reduce your word count.
1. Don't Use Colloquial Expressions.
Some examples follow:
- Use “therefore,” “consequently” or “thus” instead of “as a result” or “as a consequence”
- Use “furthermore” or “moreover” instead of “in addition”
- Use “in contrast” or “whereas” instead of “on the other hand”
- Use “specifically” instead of “more specifically” or “in particular”
- Use “several” instead of “a number of”
2. Shorten Basic Information Common knowledge in the target field should be removed because it creates redundancy and increases the word count, while giving the impression that the manuscript is not on par intellectually with the target journal. A research manuscript can briefly and concisely summarize the background information to explain the context within 3 sentences.
3. Simplify Your Writing You should choose the best verb possible. It will reduce the amount of writing in most cases. You usually need to add more words to clarify your meaning when you use a verb that is not quite correct.
4. Use the Active Voice Generally , using the active voice rather than the passive voice will reduce the word count and make your sentences easier to understand. However, in some cases passive voice may be more appropriate.
How to Achieve Word Count Reduction
Maximum word reduction by 10% with Premium Academic Editing Service We can reduce the word count of your manuscript by up to 10% to meet the requirements of the journal to which you are submitting your manuscript.
Even if you require a more substantial reduction, please do not hesitate to contact us and we will do our best to meet your wishes.